Information for all Sri Lankan visa applicants
Before coming to Sri Lanka, you should obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) document. Once the ETA is approved it will be issued to you through email as a printable document. When you travel to Sri Lanka, keep a copy of the ETA notice and present it, along with your passport at the port of entry to Sri Lanka (Bandaranaike International Airport, also known as Katunayake). There will be immigration officers who would help you with this. Once the immigration officers receive your ETA and passport, a short stay (30 days) visa will be issued on arrival.
Nationals of the following countries who visit Sri Lanka for a Short Visit up to 30 days are exempt from ETA.
- The Republic of Singapore
- The Republic of Maldives
- The Republic of Seychelles
Visa category: Business – ETA
We strongly recommend you to apply ETA online at http://www.eta.gov.lk website and bring the ETA approval document together with the other documents mentioned in their website. Only Visa, Master and American Express Cards are accepted to make the ETA payments.
Very limited facilities are available for some nationals to get ETA on arrival. This method is not recommended.
Please note that you will not be facilitated to obtain Business ETA, on your arrival at Bandaranaike International Airport. You have to apply by using above two channels to obtain ETA in advance.
How to get an ETA
- It is up to the travelers to decide whether to apply as a group or to apply individually. It wouldn’t make a lot of difference in either case.
- Select the “Business ETA” category.
- For the purpose of visit, select “Conferences,workshops and seminars”.
- Do note that the fields “port of departure”, “airline/vessel”, and “flight numbers” are all optional and are not mandatory for the ETA. You can book your flights after getting the ETA.
- NOTE: You DO NEED to include the details of accommodation and their contact information. This will be supplied by the Olympiad organizing committee.
- Continue to fill out the application as instructed, make a payment with a credit card and a confirmation email will be sent.
After applying for the ETA it can be tracked at (https://eta.gov.lk/etaslvisa/pages/checkStatus.jsp) where you can check
the status of your ETA. Keep your application reference number with you.
Some sample notices of the approval of ETA can be seen here (http://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/visainfo/sample.jsp?locale=en_US#6).
When you arrive in Sri Lanka, present the ETA and your passport at the arrivals
sector of the airport to an immigration officer. A short stay visa (30 days)
will be issued to you and you can proceed.
Enjoy your stay in Sri Lanka.
For more information about visa, please visit:
For monetary and other rules and regulations, please visit: